Friday, October 25, 2013

My journey back to art

As long as I can remember I have been compelled to create art. From drawing murals on my wall at the tender age of 4 to doodling on every scrap piece of paper in sight. At some unknown point in my life, I turned away from drawing and painting and focused on creating art through my camera's lens. I am still doing that these days, but I am also getting back to my creative roots of drawing and experimenting with painting and mixing the 2 together. A few years ago I met Kate Lagaly. Her artwork inspired me and got me excited about learning to experiment with different techniques and mediums. I signed up for one of her weekly classes offered through our local parks and recreation department. I have been with her for almost 3 years now along with 3 other ladies who have become my closest friends and confidants. We like to call our classes "therapy sessions" as we discuss everything that's going on in our lives along with learning new techniques from Kate. Just recently we have graduated from taking lessons from Kate to having an open studio where we talk as we create and show each other new things that we've learned.  I am enjoying my journey back to art and I hope you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment